Who We Are
About the Citizens League
The Citizens League is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that empowers people to engage in civic life and public policy to make Minnesota a better place to live and work for everyone. Leading with a multi-partisan approach, we develop leaders in public policy, build awareness of issues, and create strong public policy.
We bring the League’s vision to life through our core initiatives:
- The Capitol Pathways program, which aims to build a representative democracy through paid policy internships and professional development for college students who identify as Black, Indigenous, or people of color.
- Public events on public policy issues in accessible spaces, and that highlight community leaders inspiring civic engagement. Current events include our Mind Opener series; partner series like EdTalks and Interconnected: Rural-Urban Conversations; and our annual Civic Celebration.
- Impactful policy projects that bring together people with varying viewpoints and perspectives to develop policy solutions to common problems, elevating lived experience and local expertise. Current and recent issue areas include aging and caregiving, education, governance, workforce, and public safety.
Learn more about our work in 2022 and 2023 in our Annual Impact Report, now online.
Founded in 1952, the Citizens League is directed by a volunteer board and financially supported by individual supporters, foundations, and businesses.
Mission & Vision
Mission: The Citizens League is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that empowers people to engage in civic life and public policy, to make Minnesota a better place to live and work for everyone.
Through our work:
• Minnesotans of all backgrounds, parties, and ideologies are engaged, inspired and empowered to take an active role in public policymaking, fueling Minnesota’s ability to implement innovative and effective policy solutions.
• The Citizens League is a relevant and respected policy resource and a trusted convener, focused on solving current and future problems, building civic capacity, and earning the ongoing support of our Minnesota community
Citizens League Board of Directors
We are grateful for the dedication and leadership of our all-volunteer board of directors and committee members. Board members have an opportunity to connect and learn with others from a variety of personal and professional backgrounds, with perspectives across the political spectrum, and diverse in terms of age, race/ethnicity, and gender. The Citizens League staff works closely with our board members and we value their community insights, experiences, expertise, fundraising support, and strategic thinking. The Citizens League board is a great opportunity to support civic engagement, bridge differences, and engage in public policy in a multi-partisan setting.
Citizens League Staff
Staff photos by Bruce Silcox