About the Citizens League
Since 1952, the Citizens League has created common ground across parties and ideologies to solve some of the biggest challenges facing Minnesota. The Citizens League’s mission is to champion the role of all Minnesotans to govern for the common good and promote democracy. We currently have an opening for a fulltime Policy Director. If you like working with the best-of-the-best, then don’t miss out on this opportunity.
The Policy Director is charged with leading all efforts related to developing and advancing policy recommendations with the Citizens League’s members and partners in addition to advancing the Citizens League’s work in good government, workforce, aging, and civic leadership development.
This position will manage the Policy Committee and all related work groups, works closely with the Board of Directors, and policy staff.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
- Develop and advance Citizens League policy recommendations, improving both relevance and impact in the community.
- Developing, setting, and evaluating processes and priorities for policy work, with Citizens League staff and key contractors, the Board of Directors, and the Policy Committee.
- Directing the advancement of Citizens League policy work, including active projects and past policy positions.
- Raising funds to support Citizens League policy work.
- Ensuring all policy work follows the Citizens League’s civic operating principles.
- Building effective partnerships to advance the Citizens League’s work plan.
- Organizing members and key stakeholders in focused processes for policy development and advancement in particular issue areas.
- Increasing the capacity and opportunities for members to represent the Citizens League in policy making discussions and decision making.
- Establishing and maintaining metrics and reporting related to policy development and advancement.
- Supervises Policy Program Manager, Policy Interns, and External Contractors.
- Represents Citizens League at external events as needed.
- Representing the Citizens League in the community (speaking opportunities, media, legislature, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years related experience.
- Ability to uphold Citizens League principles while interacting with individuals from all backgrounds, ideologies, sectors, and levels.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-partisan and highly political environment while remaining politically neutral.
- Excellent organizing skills; ability to organize broad groups of participants to identify and achieve common goals.
- Strong communication, writing, listening, research and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, coordinate with many stakeholders and meet deadlines with attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently while accepting and seeking out direction as appropriate.
- Confidence interacting with individuals from all backgrounds, ideologies, sectors, and levels.
- Proficiency with a wide range of software, including Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency and comfort with online communications.
- Reliable daily transportation to a variety of meetings in the Metro Area.
- Experience with Citizens League history, current work, and civic organizing, including membership in or involvement with the Citizens League.
- Grant writing experience.
- Fundraising experience.
To Apply: Please send a resume and one-page cover letter to email@example.com. Please put in the subject line – Policy Director Opening.
Deadline: Job applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Citizens League is an equal opportunity employer.