We are currently searching for our next Public Policy Director. If you like working with the best-of-the-best and taking on the toughest public policy challenges, then don’t miss out on this opportunity.
The Public Policy Director is charged with leading all efforts related to developing and advancing policy recommendations with Citizens League members and partners. Our policy work is focused in the areas of good government, workforce, aging, and civic leadership development. We use a variety of tools to dissect complex policy issues, develop shared understanding, and design well-informed sound solutions. Our strategy is based on the philosophy that those affected by a problem should be part of defining the problem and generating solutions for it. To that end, we employ principles that promote accessibility and diversity of thought and background.
The successful candidate will bring a passion for community, a proven record of community and stakeholder engagement, and experience with equitable practices. This position manages the Policy Committee and all related work groups, and works closely with the Board of Directors, policy staff and contractors, and the public.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
- Develop and advance Citizens League policy recommendations, improving both relevance and impact in the community.
- Develop, set, execute, and evaluate processes and priorities for policy work, with Citizens League staff and key contractors, the Board of Directors, and the Policy Committee.
- Direct the advancement of Citizens League policy work, including active projects and past policy positions.
- Raise funds to support Citizens League policy work.
- Ensure all policy work follows the Citizens League’s civic operating principles.
- Build effective partnerships to advance the Citizens League’s work plan.
- Engage members and key stakeholders in focused processes for policy development and advancement in particular issue areas.
- Increase capacity and opportunities for members to represent the Citizens League in policy making discussions and decision making.
- Establish and maintain metrics and reporting related to policy development and advancement.
- Supervise Policy Interns and External Contractors.
- Represent Citizens League at external events, including coalitions, as needed.
- Representing the Citizens League in the community (speaking opportunities, media, legislature, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 4 – 6 years related experience.
- Ability to uphold Citizens League principles while confidently and comfortably interacting with individuals from all backgrounds, ideologies, sectors, and levels.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multi-partisan and highly political environment while remaining politically neutral.
- Excellent organizing skills; ability to organize broad groups of participants to identify and achieve common goals.
- Strong communication, writing, listening, research and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, coordinate with many stakeholders and meet deadlines with attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently while accepting and seeking out direction as appropriate.
- Proficiency with a wide range of software, including Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency and comfort with online communications.
- Reliable daily transportation to a variety of meetings in the Metro Area.
- Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, advocacy and political leadership, or related field.
- Experience with Citizens League history, current work, and civic organizing, including membership in or involvement with the Citizens League.
- Knowledge of government processes and understanding of the legislative process
- Facilitation and/or mediation training.
- Grant writing experience.
- Fundraising experience.
- Experience leading or supporting multi-agency coalitions.
- Event planning experience.
To Apply: Please send a resume and one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put in the subject line – Public Policy Director Opening.
Deadline: Job applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applicant review will begin on May 10, 2019.
The Citizens League is an equal opportunity employer.